Thursday, October 9, 2008

Content Based Teaching

What is teaching language trough content?

It is teaching language trough something really meaningful for the students instead of teaching the target language trough grammar. For example teaching the target language trough a song, a story. They are more motivated when they are studying something really interesting for them.


The Activity

I am going to give my students the lyrics of a song called “I will survive”in order to teach them t past simple. Above the lyrics I will show some verbs of the song , but they are written in infinitive and , so when they are listening to the song they will have to change them to their correct tense . Here there is an example of the first paragraph of the song.

Be-walk-spend-learn-keep-be-do-grow



First I was afraid

I was petrified

Kept thinking I could never live

without you by my side

But I spent so many nights

thinking how you did me wrong

I grew strong

I learned how to carry on

and so you're back

from outer space

I just walked in to find you here

with that sad look upon your face

I should have changed my stupid lock

I should have made you leave your key

If I had known for just one second

you'd be back to bother me


Trough this song they can learn past tense of regular and irregular verbs and practice listening.

No comments: